Results 1 to 3 of 3
07-19-2004, 04:48 PM #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2003
How do you debug if your website down?
It is very useful for client to debug thier site before contact webhosting provider.
Website is not working?
1. First check your internet connection. Is it all ok, try visiting another site. If it loads, go to step 2.
2. If you have just changed the DNS info you have to wait 24 - 72 hours for domain propagation.
3. If it is more than 72 hours. You can ping your IP, If the IP responds it means the problem may be with Apache or DNS. Also you can change your DNS setting with the registrar you used to register the domain.
You can also check your DNS setting at www.dnsstuff.com. Go to www.dnsstuff.com and enter your domain name into the Whois Lookup field. It will display your nameservers.
4. Also, if there is no index.html, index.htm or index.php or any file you may get the directory Index. It means your site is up and running and you should upload your files or you may have uploaded to the wrong directory, please use the www directory, or public_html.
Also, if you have set up forwarding, it might have been setup incorrectly, check throught the .htaccess in the public_html folder for any errors.
6. If you still having problem possibility with DNS or Apache. In this case you can't do much about it. You should contact your webhosting provider.
Also I highly recommended visiting following site for debugging tools for DNS, E-mail problem and much more.
Also, You can provide any comments to improve this article.
Copy Rights 2004
[edit by jimbob. I removed all 50 s]
07-19-2004, 05:35 PM #2denisGuest
With your permission David ...
Midway between 2 and 4:
a/ Try Ctrl-F5* - Refresh/Reload the current page, irrespective of time stamps.
This forces a refresh of the page.
b/ Try this: http://www.anonymization.net/http://www.yoursite.com
Do you see your site? If yes , maybe you have a problem
with your browser or local (ISP) cache.
c/ If this a problem with DNS cache and if you use Windows XP,
Start >>>Run...>>>ipconfig /flushdns>>>ENTER
Then restart your browser and try again.
Try Ctrl-F5* - Unconditional refresh (Refresh cached page)
Last edited by denis; 07-19-2004 at 06:39 PM.
07-19-2004, 08:04 PM #3
- Join Date
- Dec 2003