Results 1 to 10 of 12
Thread: Colocation Selection
03-23-2004, 02:26 AM #1wirelessguyGuest
What are the things we should consider before we choose colocations?
03-23-2004, 02:29 AM #2
- Join Date
- Jan 2004
connection to the whole world. Bandwidth provider, price. What they do. umm cant think of anything else right now.
03-23-2004, 11:30 AM #3LippyGuest
Things to consider:
1: Proven preformance in custmor service, as in response time and if they are easily contactable.(Look at webhostingtalk.com for reviews on co-lo providers).
2: Multiple connections to the internet, also make sure these connections are good connections, you can research them at webhostingtalk.com, or look at http://www.internethealthreport.com/ for a report on various internet backbone providers
3: Price and features for this price, as in tech time, rackspace, connection type, and such
4: Ask alot of questions to see if they are willing to go that extra mile for your business.
03-25-2004, 06:53 PM #4tomcrompGuest
price and proformance
03-29-2004, 01:41 AM #5NicoGuestOriginally Posted by griffin
Redundant power - generators and battery backup
Access to servers if need be
04-08-2004, 12:08 AM #6byronmGuest
1. Facility Security - The last thing you want to see is your server/switches/equipment missing.
2. Storage - Able to keep some tools there, spares, cables?
3. Bandwidth - make sure they have good interconnects and that your switch is multi-homed as well.
4. Find out there routing plans, do traceroutes from different networks.
5. Ask for test downloads, try every 4 hours of the day to see if they have any noticeable lag/peak times. Do this for a couple of days. You can use wget and a simple script to automate this.
6. Ask for customer referrals and actually call up a customer if possible and see how they have it.
7. Send an email to tech support, see how long it takes for a response.
8. make sure they have power - dual feeds, UPS and generators
9. make sure that you WRITE DOWN YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS and keep track of everythig you and your colo does.
10. don't go on the cheap just because its cheap - go with someone who you can trust and rely on
08-06-2004, 06:58 PM #7samtamGuest
Well what i usually do is go and have a look.
08-06-2004, 07:43 PM #8denisGuestOriginally Posted by samtam
Welcome to WHC, samtam!
08-07-2004, 03:37 AM #9
- Join Date
- Jan 2004
Welcome, you can have a look but in my case when they are in the US and I am in the UK I dont usually colocate ... I wouldnt go look unless I was near by though..Seeksadmin - For all your administration and security needs.
08-07-2004, 03:15 PM #10BManGuest
I agree go look at the facilities or have them send pictures. I also would check for:
*Uptime guarantee (99.999$, 100%, ect)
*I always check the SLA, to see what is hidden or promised but not included in the SLA.
* Temperture of the facilities. I have toured some facilities and smelled the servers burning.
*Fire supression system- is there another system to supress the fire before the H20 comes pouring down on your servers
*UPS and generator back up-
*Price- but I would not go with the cheapest if they do not provide the services listed above.
I am sure there is more but that is all I can think of!