Results 1 to 2 of 2
01-09-2010, 05:46 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2010
How to Use Laptop Security Devices
Lock up your laptop! This small chain and lock will not deter a professional thief, but it will deter a grab-and-run thief. Get a chain with a lock that is clearly visible. This will deter someone from messing with the lock.
2. If a thief does manage to break your lock off, use a notebook alarm to alert everyone that someone is trying to steal your laptop. This device will sound an alarm whenever someone disconnects the cable.
3. Use tracking software from a private company to track where your laptop is. The service you select can trace your laptop's location on the Internet and summon the local police to recover it. Typical costs are around $30 a month so make sure that your laptop is worth that much to you!
4. Recovery services report recovery rates of 75 percent and higher on tagged items. If a thief steals your laptop and decides it will be too much trouble to try to get away with it, they will usually dump it somewhere. Evidence has proven that honest people will try to return items 75% more often if the device has a recovery tag located on it. price is nominal, usually around $5 to $10 per tag.
5. Use encryption software to encrypt your harddrive. That way if someone steals your laptop, they will not be able to access your most important information. This alone might make them give up and dump your laptop somewhere.
Keep sharing and reading
06-01-2010, 03:12 AM #2
- Join Date
- Jan 2010
1. Don't use computer bags, while these maybe fashionable andcomfortable they make it obvious that you are carrying a laptop. Tryusing a padded briefcase or suitcase instead.
2. Make sure your laptop is always with you. Do not checklaptopsin with your luggage while traveling. Never leave your laptop in yourcar in plain sight or any valuable objects for that matter. There hasbeen a recent increase of car burglaries stemming from people leavingvaluables in plain sight. Lock all valuables in the trunk.
3. Never leave access numbers or passwords in your carrying case. Keeping your password with your laptopis like keeping the keys in the car. Without your password or importantaccess numbers it will be more difficult for a thief to access yourpersonal and corporate information.
4. Keep your eye on your laptop. When you go through airport securitydon't lose sight of your bag. Hold your bag until the person in frontof you has gone through the metal detector. Many bags look alike andyours can easily be lost in the shuffle.