The "TRICK" To Search Engine Optimization!
Written by Eric S. Cook

Everyone wants to know the "secrets" of the search engines. "Should I have 10% keyword density or 20%?" or "Should I use Link Popularity inflation techniques?" or "Should I resubmit every week or every month?". These are all questions that those searching out the "secrets" of the search engines ask. Let me first begin by trying to shed some light on the search engine itself.

There is no real secret to a search engine. Any search engine has basically 3 parts, First is the spider, otherwise called a robot. The spider visits a web page, reads it, and then follows links to other pages within the site. This is what it means when someone refers to a site being "spidered" or "crawled." The spider returns to the site on a regular basis, such as every month or two, to look for changes.

Everything the spider finds goes into the second part of a search engine, the index. The index, sometimes called the database, is like a giant library containing a copy of every web page that the spider finds. If a web page changes, then this book is updated with new information.

Sometimes it can take a while for new pages or changes that the spider finds to be added to the index. Thus, a web page may have been "spidered" but not yet "indexed." Until it is indexed, it is not available to those searching with the search engine.

The third, and trickiest, part of a search engine is the ranking software. This is the program that sifts through the millions of pages recorded in the index to find matches to a search and rank them in order of what it believes is most relevant. All search engines have the basic parts described above, but there are differences in how these parts are tuned. That is why the same search on different search engines often produces different results.

Now that you can see there is nothing really magical about any given search engine, we'll discuss other "secrets" like keyword density and link popularity.

First, let me start with the ever popular "Keyword Density". All I can say about this issue is "Relevancy rules over ALL!". If you try to keep up with the ever changing algorithms of the search engines, you'll be forever changing your copy around to match that "holy grail percentage" for that month. Instead, create pages that have substantial and relevant content related your primary keywords for that page.

Link popularity is however very important among search engines now. Search engines feel if more websites link to yours that your website must be important. Also, if the importance of a website that is linking to you is ranked high in that search engine, your link popularity will be greater. You should definitely try to build your link popularity. There are several different programs available now to help you do just that.

In conclusion, the real secret of any quality search engine optimization company is a combination of all of these aspects. In order to succeed, you must incorporate submission scheduling, link popularity, keyword density and relevancy, etc. into a SEO campaign plan. The more relevant your keyword list to your website, the more targeted your visitors will be, and the search engines will stay less cluttered.

Eric Cook is a recognized search engine optimization expert that has been gaining quality traffic for his clients for 2 years. Visit his site, and get Eric's latest updates by sending a blank email to